Explore our promoted experiences
- Full-day guided trip to San Gimignano and Volterra from Siena
- Visit the medieval Fortress of Monteriggioni
- Walk down the Via Francigena, an ancient pilgrimage road in San Gimignano
- Explore the UNESCO World Heritage-listed town of San Gimignano at leisure
- Visit an authentic workshop to see Volterra alabaster being made
- Small-group tour (maximum of eight people) provides an intimate and personalized experience
Departure & Return
Meet under the large tree next to the red brick church
What To Expect
From there, hop back in the automobile for San Gimignano, enjoying the rustic Tuscan countryside along the way: the villa-topped hills, the vineyard-clad rolling mounds of earth and the olive groves. Once in San Gimignano, walk down the Via Francigena, a pilgrimage route from the Middle Ages that stretches from Canterbury in England all the way to Rome. The path goes right through San Gimignano. Learn from your guide about pilgrims in the Middle Ages and even today that would trek through France and Switzerland, even the Alps, to eventually get to Rome.
Take some free time to do exploring on your own. Walk the narrow cobblestoned alleyways. Stare out at the vast Tuscan landscape before your eyes. Ascend one of the 14 matchstick-like stone towers, which were once inhabited by families in the Middle Ages. Linger for a while in Piazza del Duomo and perhaps pop into the church, the Collegiata. The exterior facade may look dull but the black-and-white striped Gothic interior is a showstopper.
After some exploration, take a load off for lunch at a family-run farm just outside of town. Feast on locally made delights such as cheese and prosciutto. And don't miss anything made with the locally produced saffron in it.
Later that afternoon, take a scenic drive south to the town of Volterra. The town, known for its alabaster -- the translucent stone used for centuries to create vases, lamps and other works of art -- is an aesthetically pleasing place to spend a little while. Watch craftsmen ply their trade and spend some time strolling the streets.
After about an hour, hop back on the bus and head back to Siena.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 16 hours of travel. In this case confirmation will be received as soon as possible, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- OPERATED BY Tuscan Escapes by Papilio SRL
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.