Falesia Beach is a great day-out destination for sun worshippers, families, swimmers, and surfers. The striking cliffscape, which has been carved into unusual shapes by the wind, sand, and waves, looks particularly impressive from the water, and can be seen during sailing tours, many of which set off from nearby Vilamoura Marina. Some multi-day tours of the Algarve include accommodation at hotels near Falesia Beach
Things to know before you go
- Families may prefer to go swimming on the east side of the beach, where during low tide, the water remains shallow for longer.
- Lifeguards watch over the beach in summer.
- Parasols and sun loungers are available for rent.
- A small snack bar is situated by the car park near Aldeia das Açoteias.
How to get there
Falesia Beach runs along the Algarve’s south coast, from Vilamoura in the east to Olhos dé Água in the west. If you’re coming by car, parking can be found at the end of Rua da Falesia, which is accessible via Aldeia das Açoteias. From the parking lot, a series of wooden steps lead down to the beach. The beach is well signposted, but parking is limited and spaces fill up quickly in high season.
When to get there
Falesia Beach is busiest in summer, especially at high tide when there is less space on the sand. Go early to secure a spot, or walk away from the entrance points; the farther away you go, the more the crowds tend to thin.
Walking on Falesia Beach
Falesia Beach is as popular among walkers as it is among sunbathers and swimmers. Travelers can stroll barefoot in the golden sands. Traversing the whole beach, which is only possible at low tide, can take upward of 90 minutes. There are also trails leading along parts of the clifftop, though these can be dangerous with portions having collapsed due to erosion.
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Albufeira
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Setubal District
- Things to do in Lisbon
- Things to do in Cádiz
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Things to do in Northern Portugal
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Castile and León