A quiet alternative to busy coastal resorts, Almancil is by all appearances a typical Portuguese market town, though its proximity to two of the Algarve’s most exclusive resorts—Quinta do Lago and Vale do Lobo—give it an upscale edge. Michelin-starred restaurants, five-star hotels, and championship golf courses can all be found nearby.
With lots of swanky resorts and upmarket restaurants in the vicinity, Almancil makes a popular base for visitors looking for luxury. Foodies also flock to Almancil to sample the area’s many well-regarded restaurants, which are found both in the town itself and along the waterfront. Some guided tours of east Algarve stop at Almancil—usually at the historic Church of St. Lourenço (Igreja de São Lourenço)—as well as at other towns in the region, such as Faro, Tavira, and Olhão.
Things to know before you go
- Almancil is a must for foodies and golf enthusiasts.
- There are boutique shops, restaurants, supermarkets, and cafés in town.
- Don’t forget sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat; it’s also worth packing something nice to wear, especially if you plan on dining at one of the area’s high-end restaurants.
How to get there
Almancil is about 8 miles (13 kilometers) from Faro. Driving from Faro should take about 20 minutes. Local trains also connect Faro to Almancil, though departures are infrequent so check the schedule before you leave.
When to get there
Almancil is busiest between June and August. Come in the shoulder season (May, late September, or October) for pleasant weather and fewer crowds.
Church of St. Lourenço
The Baroque Church of St. Lourenço is the historic highlight of Almancil. Dating from the 17th century, the church is known for its azulejos (glazed ceramic tiles). The hand-painted tiles in the church, believed to be the work of master tile-maker Policarpo de Oliveira Bernardes, depict episodes from the life of St. Lourenço, and are one of the most important azulejo collections in the Algarve.
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Albufeira
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Setubal District
- Things to do in Lisbon
- Things to do in Cádiz
- Things to do in Cascais
- Things to do in Beiras
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Things to do in Northern Portugal
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Castile and León