Hospital de los Venerables
The Hospital de los Venerables is a must-visit attraction for arts enthusiasts. Marvel at collection highlights by Spanish Golden Age painters, such as Diego Velázquez’ Inmaculada Concepción; and don’t miss the Focus-Abengoa Foundation’s collection of 17th-century paintings, and the recently opened Contemporary Art Gallery. Even if you don’t go inside, it’s worth taking a look at the building, a carefully preserved example of 17th-century Sevillian architecture.
To save time at the entrance, buy your ticket in advance. Some travelers like to pair a museum visit with a neighborhood or city walking tour.
Things to Know Before You Go
Seniors get free admission.
Entry is free for everyone on the first Thursday of every month.
How to Get There
The Hospital de los Venerables is tucked into a maze of cobblestoned streets, off the Plaza de los Venerables. The most convenient way to get there is on foot, while exploring the tourist-friendly Barrio Santa Cruz. If you’re coming from farther away, take the L1 metro line to the Puerta de Jerez stop, then walk about 10 minutes to Plaza Venerables 8.
When to Get There
The Hospital de los Venerables is open Thursday through Sunday, from 10am to 2pm. Expect more crowds on Saturday and Sunday, and during Seville’s peak tourist times, including Semana Santa and Feria de Abril. For free admission, go on the first Thursday of the month.
Exploring Barrio Santa Cruz
As the Hospital de los Venerables is located in the heart of the historic Barrio Santa Cruz, plan to precede or follow your museum trip with a walk around this storied Seville district. You’ll find palaces, shops, and cafés where you can sip coffee and soak up the Andalusian sunshine. Or, sample traditional tapas on the Calle Mateos Gago, then stop at the Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Sea—a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Cádiz
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Benahavis
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Lisbon
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Santa Cruz
- Los Gallos Tablao Flamenco
- Casa de la Guitarra
- Royal Alcázar of Seville (Real Alcázar de Sevilla)
- Barrio Santa Cruz
- The Giralda (El Giraldillo)
- Aire Ancient Baths Sevilla
- General Archive of the Indies (Archivo General de Indias)
- Seville Cathedral (Catedral de Santa María de la Sede)
- Royal Tobacco Factory (Real Fábrica de Tabacos)
- Flamenco Dance Museum (Museo del Baile Flamenco)
- Palace of San Telmo (Palacio de San Telmo)
- Pilate's House (La Casa de Pilatos)
- Church of the Divine Savior (Iglesia del Salvador)
- El Arenal District