With almost a quarter of the country covered in lush rain forest, and with a reputation as Central America’s adventure capital, Costa Rica is the perfect place for a rain forest canopy tour. Here are your options for canopy tours from the capital city of San Jose.
Rescate Animal Zooave
2.3 km al este del cruce de Manolo's, ruta 3, hacia el B° San José
Run by a non-profit organization, this zoological park is home to over 125 species of birds, mammals, and reptiles, many of them native to Costa Rica. See the animals, which live in large, natural enclosures, get hands-on with miniature horses and barnyard animals at the petting zoo, then spend some time up in the trees with the site’s zip-line canopy tours.
Things to Know Before You Go
Rescate Animal Zooave is popular with families and others interested in animal conservation.
Pre-book mobile tickets online to save time.
There's a restaurant, an ice cream parlor, and a gift shop on site.
Visitors can bring their own picnics, but food can only be consumed in designated areas.
The park is wheelchair accessible, and wagons for kids to ride in are available to rent.
How to Get There
Rescate Animal Zooave is situated in La Garita de Alajuela, about a 15-minute drive from the airport and 45 minutes from downtown San José. There is an interurban train station in nearby Alajuela, but there is little public transportation from there to the zoo.
When to Get There
The zoo is open throughout the year from morning until early evening, including on weekends and public holidays (when it's at its busiest). Although it’s lovely throughout the year, the best time to visit is during the dry season, which runs from late November through April.
Rescate Animal Zooave runs a variety of animal conservation efforts, including a wildlife hospital that takes care of over 7,500 animals per year. They've also bred a number of species for reintroduction to the wild, including squirrel monkeys and scarlet macaws; they have even helped reintroduce a bird—the grey-headed chachalaca—that was previously extinct in this region.
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Quepos
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in La Fortuna de San Carlos
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Limon
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Panama City
- Things to do in San Blas Islands
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Orosi River Valley (El Valle del Rio Orosi)
- La Sabana Park
- Poas Volcano National Park
- Costa Rican Art Museum (Museo de Arte Costarricense)
- Children's Museum (Museo de los Ninos)
- San Jose Central Market (Mercado Central)
- National Theater (Teatro Nacional)
- Plaza de la Cultura
- Gold Museum
- Jade Museum (Museo del Jade)
- Metallic Building (Ed)ificio Metálico)
- Yellow House (Casa Amarilla)
- Morazan Park