Caves of Thouzon (Grottes de Thouzon)
Unusual stalactites, stalagmites, and other cave formations formed some 60 million years ago from the fossil bed of an ancient, underground river to become the Caves of Thouzon visitors know today. Join a guided tour to explore the roughly 755-feet (230 meters) of tunnels. Paved stairs and well-lit walkways make the Caves of Thouzon easier to access on foot than some caves in the area.
Each 45-minute tour begins once an hour, on the hour, and self-led tours are not available. Book your ticket in advance to secure the time that works best for your schedule.
Things to Know Before You Go
Because the caves’ temperature is only 56° Fahrenheit (13° Celsius), it is advised to wear layers of clothing, as well as sturdy, comfortable shoes.
All tours are given in French, although English-language manuals are provided and offer an introduction to the caves’ main sights.
Entry is free for children ages five and under.
The Caves of Thouzon have an air-conditioned visitor center, which features a gift shop, a snack bar, and restrooms.
How to Get There
The Caves of Thouzon are just a five-minute taxi trip from the nearby Le Thor station, or a 30-minute walk. From Avignon the landmark is a roughly 30–40 minute drive. Free on-site parking and bike racks are available.
When to Get There
The Caves of Thouzon are open daily throughout the year, including on public holidays. Opening and closing times vary depending on the month; check the hours online in advance of your travel.
The Chateau de Thouzon
Bookend your visit to the caves with a walk to nearby Chateau de Thouzon, a medieval monastery first constructed in the 11th century and now in picturesque ruin. The chateau is open to all and can be accessed on foot, either from the caves or the village of Le Thor.
- Things to do in Aix-en-Provence
- Things to do in Marseille
- Things to do in Avignon
- Things to do in French Riviera
- Things to do in Languedoc-Roussillon
- Things to do in Rhône-Alpes
- Things to do in Marignane
- Things to do in Arles
- Things to do in Toulon
- Things to do in Nîmes
- Things to do in Piedmont & Liguria
- Things to do in Lake Geneva
- Things to do in Burgundy
- Things to do in Catalonia
- Things to do in Lombardy
- Parc Spirou
- Fountain of Vaucluse (Fontaine-de-Vaucluse)
- Les Halles Market
- Rocher des Doms
- Palace of the Popes (Palais des Papes)
- Little Palace Museum (Musée du Petit Palais)
- Avignon Cathedral (Cathedrale Notre-Dame des Doms)
- St. Benezet Bridge (Pont d'Avignon)
- Rhône River
- Lavender Museum (Musee de la Lavande)
- Senanque Abbey (Abbaye Notre-Dame de Sénanque)
- Saint-Paul de Mausole Monastery (Monastère Saint-Paul de Mausole)