Saadian Tombs (Tombeaux Saadiens)
With a prime location, just a short stroll from El Badi Palace, the Saadian Tombs make a popular stop on Marrakech city tours, as well as day trips to Marrakech from cities such as Essaouira or Casablanca. Visitors can explore the two mausoleums—including the Hall of Twelve Columns, which houses the tomb of Ahmad el-Mansur—and stroll the beautiful gardens, where the centerpiece is the grand tomb of Sultan Ahmad el-Mansur’s mother.
Things to Know Before You Go
There is an admission fee to visit the Saadian Tombs.
There is little information available in English at the site, so visiting with a guide is recommended.
Plan at least an hour to visit the tombs.
The site is wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
The Saadian Tombs are located at the southern end of Marrakech’s medina, close to the Mellah Jewish Quarter and El Badi Palace. The site can be reached on foot from Jemaa el-Fna (15 minutes), by taxi, or by horse-drawn carriage (calèche). The entrance is on the south side of the Moulay El Yazid Mosque.
When to Get There
The tombs are open daily. It’s best to visit early to avoid the crowds. Tour groups begin arriving at 10am, and there is often a line for tickets. The tombs also close daily from 12pm until 2:30pm.
The Medina of Marrakech
The Saadian Tombs are part of Marrakech’s UNESCO World Heritage-listed medina, the walled old town at the heart of the city, and medina tours often include a visit to the tombs. Additional highlights of the medina include the ruins of El Badi Palace, another of Sultan Ahmad el-Mansur’s masterpieces; the opulent Bahia Palace; Ben Youssef Madrasa; and Koutoubia Mosque.
- Things to do in Central Morocco
- Things to do in Ouarzazate
- Things to do in Essaouira
- Things to do in Agadir
- Things to do in Casablanca
- Things to do in Rabat
- Things to do in Hassilabied
- Things to do in Merzouga
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Morocco Sahara
- Les Bains de Marrakech
- El-Badi Palace (Palais el-Badi)
- Bahia Palace (Palais Bahia)
- Tiskiwin Museum (Musée Tiskiwin)
- Jemaa el-Fna (Djemaa el-Fna)
- Marrakesh Museum (Musée de Marrakech)
- Dar el-Bacha Street (Rue Dar el-Bacha)
- Dar el Bacha Museum of Confluences (Dar el Bacha Musée des Confluences
- Photography Museum of Marrakesh (Maison de la Photographie de Marrakech)
- Ben Youssef Madrasa (Medersa Ben Youssef)
- Koutoubia Mosque (Mosquée Koutoubia)
- Majorelle Garden (Jardin Majorelle)
- Marrakech Medina (Medina of Marrakesh)
- Oasiria Marrakech (Oasiria Water Park)
- Palmeraie (Palm Grove)