National Palace of Culture (Palacio Nacional de la Cultura)
The sprawling National Palace of Culture is best known to visitors as the home of the National Museum. Walk through the museum’s nine galleries filled with pre-Columbian ceramics, dinosaur bones, Latin American paintings, and more. General admission includes access to English-speaking guides who help explain the many exhibits. Bundle your visit with trips to the nearby Old Cathedral of Managua (Catedral de Managua), Plaza de la Revolución, and Hotel el Gran Marquez for an easy all-in-one discovery of top Managua attractions. Or for a more comprehensive and hassle-free experience, join a larger city tour that includes the National Palace and more far-flung points of interest in the city.
Things to Know Before You Go
The National Palace of Culture is a must-see for anyone with interest in Nicaraguan history and culture.
Quickly admire the building’s facade or plan to spend up to two hours exploring exhibits.
How to Get There
The best way to reach the National Palace of Culture is in one of Managua’s many inexpensive taxis. A number of nearby bus stops also service the neighborhood, which is right by the malecón on the shores of Lake Managua.
When to Get There
The National Museum is open weekdays from 8am to 5pm and weekends from 9am to 4pm. For a stunning view of the National Palace, visit when it is lit up (though closed) at night.
In 1978, the National Palace had housed the Nicaraguan parliament for over 50 years. Then, on Aug. 22, of that year, Sandinista revolutionaries overthrew the Somoza dictatorship, ending the palace’s role as the seat of the Nicaraguan parliament almost overnight.
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in León
- Things to do in Playa Hermosa
- Things to do in Liberia
- Things to do in Playa Flamingo
- Things to do in Tamarindo
- Things to do in Jaco
- Things to do in San Jose
- Things to do in San Salvador
- Things to do in Roatan
- Things to do in Guatemala City
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Guanacaste and Northwest
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Ruben Dario National Theatre (Teatro Nacional Ruben Dario)
- Tiscapa Lagoon Natural Reserve (Reserva Natural Laguna de Tiscapa)
- Ancient Footprints of Acahualinca (Huellas de Acahualinca)
- Managua Metropolitan Cathedral (Catedral Metropolitana de Managua)
- Old Cathedral of Managua (Antigua Catedral de Managua)
- Masaya Volcano
- Lake Managua (Lake Xolotlán)
- Somoto Canyon