Essential to any Malaga trip is a visit to Granada and its stunning Alhambra Palace, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Luckily, this stunning Andalucian city is just an easy day trip away. To help you find the right tour for you, here are your options.
Plaza de la Merced
Plaza de la Merced, Malaga
Though used today as a public area for people to walk through or relax in, Plaza de la Merced was once home to a bustling marketplace during the 15th century and was often referred to as Plaza del Mercado (Market Square). The plaza gets its name, however, from an order of Mercedarian friars who built a church on the plaza during the early 1500s.
In the center of the plaza is a tall white obelisque. Erected during the 19th century, Monumento a Torrijos honors General José María Torrijos and 48 of his companions, who were executed after battling French invaders. And in one of the corners of the plaza is a bronze statue of Picasso sitting on a marble bench.
Things to know before you go
*You can spot Casa Natal de Picasso (Picasso’s Birthplace) museum at number 15 of the plaza. *The plaza is wheelchair-accessible. *There are no public restrooms in the plaza.
How to get there
From the Málaga Airport - Costa del Sol it is approximately an 18-minute drive northeast to the plaza. You can also take bus line 1 or 37 to the Victoria (Plaza de la Merced) stop. Though if you are already located in Málaga’s town center, it is generally an easy 10-minute walk from Plaza de la Marina.
When to get there
The plaza is open to the public year round. Plan your visit for the last Sunday of the month to experience the area’s main craft market where you can find local wares and delicacies like Serrano ham and tortilla (a traditional Spanish omelette with onion and potatoes).
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Plaza de la Merced?
Attractions near Plaza de la Merced:
What else should I know about attractions in Malaga?
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Benahavis
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Tetouan
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Tangier
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Pablo Picasso Birthplace Museum (Museo Casa Natal de Picasso)
- Museo Picasso Málaga
- Málaga Roman Theatre (Teatro Romano de Málaga)
- Malaga Alcazaba
- Cervantes Theatre (Teatro Cervantes)
- Peña Juan Breva Flamenco Art Museum (Museo de Arte Flamenco de la Peña Juan Breva)
- MIMMA (Museo Interactivo de la Música)
- Revello de Toro Museum (Museo Revello de Toro)
- Malaga Cathedral (Cathedral de la Encarnación)
- Hammam Al Ándalus Málaga
- Constitution Square (Plaza de la Constitucion)
- Carmen Thyssen Museum (Museo Carmen Thyssen)
- Sacred Heart Church Málaga (Sagrado Corazón Málaga)
- Museum of Glass and Crystal (Museo del Vidrio y Cristal)
- Malaga Park (Parque de Malaga)