Porto Moniz Tours
Draped across the volcanic cliffs overlooking the sea, pretty Porto Moniz is most famous for its sapphire swimming pools, protected from the Atlantic by photogenic rock formations and a few artificial barriers.
When you've finished working on your tan, however, there's much more to see and do in this appealing little city. The Aquário da Madeira, or Madeira Aquarium, offers a closer look at some 70 native species and 1730 São João Baptista Fort, built to protect Porto Moniz from pirates.
Next door, the Living Science Center has family-friendly exhibits that explore Madeira's unique ecosystems, while the Achadas da Cruz cable car offers access to less populated beaches.
Porto Moniz is located at the northwestern-most point of the Madeira, almost diagonally opposite Madeira Island's Funchal (FNC) airport, a scenic 42km (26mi) drive through the laurel-forested highlands. If you hire a private car, the 16km (10mi), waterfall-streaked drive between Porto Moniz and São Vicente offers amazing ocean views.
Taxis are widely available, while public buses 80 and 139 run make the 3-hour trip between Funchal and Porto Moniz twice daily, stopping in Ribeira Brava, Serra D'Água, Encumeada, Lameiros, and São Vicente. Car and passenger ferries also connect Funchal and Porto Moniz several times daily.
71 Tours and Activities to Experience Porto Moniz
Frequently Asked Questions
- Porto Moniz - Enchanted Terraces: Open 4x4 Tour
- Skywalk, Porto Moniz Volcanic Pools and more...Full day Tour in Open Roof 4x4
- Porto Moniz Volcanic Pools, Skywalk and more...Full day Tour in Open Roof 4x4
- Small Group West Tour Waterfalls and Peaks
Things to do near Madeira
- Things to do in Funchal
- Things to do in Canary Islands
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Central Morocco
- Things to do in La Palma
- Things to do in Tenerife
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Gran Canaria
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Things to do in Azores
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Morocco Sahara
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Things to do in Beiras