Belonging to Portugal and lying in the Atlantic more than 550 miles west off the coast of Morocco, the archipelago of Madeira is not exactly a place one stumbles upon while traveling. But visitors soon realize it is a destination worth planning for, and the town of Machico is its shining star.
Along with the island's largest city, Funchal, Machico quickly became a full-fledged town shortly after the discovery of the island in the early 15th century. In fact, it was the first place where explorers landed and as such, is the historical heart of the island. Sights include Franciscan chapels, defensive forts, and the original fire beacon to warn of intruders. There are also beautiful vistas, modern beach clubs, world-class diving spots, and the town itself, with its welcoming locals.
Should I book Machico tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Machico 2021?
What's the best way to experience Machico?
- Swim with Dolphins - Madeira
- Sunrise Hike at Ponta de São Lourenço
- Madeira East Tour from Funchal
- 4x4 Full-Day Tour to Explore Portugal's Scents and Flavors
Things to do near Madeira
- Things to do in Funchal
- Things to do in Canary Islands
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast
- Things to do in Central Morocco
- Things to do in La Palma
- Things to do in Tenerife
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Gran Canaria
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Things to do in Azores
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Things to do in Morocco Sahara
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Things to do in Beiras