Monte Palace Tropical Gardens
Lush Japanese gardens, brilliant tropical flowers and scenic river bridges may be part of what draws travelers to this botanical destination, but what makes a trip to Monte Palace Tropical Garden unique is its extensive collection of historic tiles that decorate the landscape. These handmade artifacts have traveled from palaces, chapels, homes and churches across Portugal, and some date as far back as the 18th century. More than 150 of these ceramic tiles tell the story of Portuguese visitors in Japan, and include details on the trade relationships and cultural ties between the two countries that inspired portions of this garden.
A three-floor museum is also tucked within the garden grounds. It displays more than 1,000 sculptures from countries such as Zambia, as well as a rare collection of minerals from every corner of the world.
Monte Palace Tropical Gardens Tours
What are Monte Palace Tropical Gardens hours of operation?
Should I book Monte Palace Tropical Gardens tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Monte Palace Tropical Gardens 2021?
What's the best way to experience Monte Palace Tropical Gardens?
- Private Service VIP Halfday Garden Tour
- Lovely Monte & Botanical Garden Tour
- Best of Funchal private walking tour with local specialities tasting
Things to do near Funchal
- Things to do in Madeira
- Things to do in La Palma
- Things to do in Tenerife
- Things to do in Lanzarote
- Things to do in Arrecife
- Things to do in Gran Canaria
- Things to do in Puerto del Rosario
- Things to do in Fuerteventura
- Things to do in Essaouira
- Things to do in Agadir
- Things to do in Agafay
- Things to do in Marrakech
- Things to do in Albufeira
- Things to do in Canary Islands
- Things to do in Atlantic Coast