Bab Bou Jeloud (Bab Boujeloud)
There is no charge to visit the Bab Bou Jeloud. Many travelers visit independently when exploring Fez’s medina (old town), a UNESCO World Heritage Site with a history dating back to the ninth century. Nearby cafés make a great base for people-watching, as residents go about their daily life. Many Fez Medina tours include a stop to admire the gate, along with other landmarks such as Nejjarine Square and Chouara Tannery: Book a walking tour to really soak up the atmosphere.
Things to know before you go
- Bab Bou Jeloud is worth a visit for photographers, Instagrammers, and people-watchers.
- The blue side of the gate represents Fez, specifically its cobalt blue pottery; the green side signifies Islam.
- The Fez Medina presents many challenges for travelers who use wheelchairs, from slopes and steps to cobbles and narrow alleys. Bab Bou Jeloud, however, is accessible by road.
How to get there
The Bab Bou Jeloud sits close to the western corner of Fez Medina, about a 1-mile (1.5-kilometer) walk from Nejjarine Square. Pick up a bus to the old bus station (Gare Routiére Principale), less than 0.5 miles (800 meters) away, or join a tour. Fez is not a city for self-driving.
When to get there
There is life and activity around Bab Bou Jeloud day and night. Visit by day to truly appreciate the mosaic work, or by night to see it illuminated against the medina.
Moroccan Mosaic Work
Known as zellige, Moroccan mosaic work developed during the period when the Moors ruled Andalucia, which is now part of Spain. Craftsmen piece together hand-chiseled, brilliantly colored tiles to create elaborate geometric patterns—without representing humans or animals, as that is forbidden in Islam. The gray clay that made Fez a center for pottery also made the city famous for zellige. Bab Bou Jeloud showcases that skill.
- Things to do in Northern Morocco
- Things to do in Chefchaouen
- Things to do in Rabat
- Things to do in Tetouan
- Things to do in Tangier
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Casablanca
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Marrakech
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Morocco Sahara
- Dar Batha Museum
- Nejjarine Square (Place Nejjarine)
- Nejjarine Museum of Wooden Arts and Crafts (Musée Nejjarine)
- Zaouia Moulay Idriss II
- Al-Attarine Madrasa
- Medina of Fez (Fes el-Bali)
- Fez Mellah (Jewish Quarter)
- Royal Palace of Fez (Fes Dar el-Makhzen)
- Kairaouine Mosque (Mosque of al-Qarawiyyin)
- Moulay Idriss