Read MoreShow Less
Akumal is a small beach town located between Playa del Carmen and Tulum on Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula. Meaning “land of the turtles” in the Mayan language, Akumal is famous for its plentiful sea turtle population. Its secluded white-sand beaches and peaceful bays are also ideal for those seeking a more private experience.
Most Akumal tours include round-trip transportation from your hotel and leave from Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and other Riviera Maya destinations. Scuba diving and snorkeling tours are a good way to experience Akumal’s coral reef and resident sea turtle population, while jungle ATV and zipline excursions allow you to experience the town’s nearby jungle. Some combination tours visit Akumal along with the Tulum ruins and various cenotes (underground pools).
Things to Know Before You Go
- Akumal is an ideal destination for nature lovers and peace-and-quiet seekers.
- Be sure to bring sun protection, swim gear, water, and comfortable walking shoes.
- Be careful not to touch the sea turtles or any other wildlife in Akumal.
How to Get There
Akumal is located in Mexico’s Quintana Roo region, roughly 25 miles (40 kilometers) from Playa del Carmen and 60 miles (97 kilometers) from Cancun. You can get there by taxi, rental car, or as part of a guided tour.
When to Get There
The park is busiest from December through April, when the weather tends to be sunny and warm. There are fewer crowds during hurricane season (May through October), but be sure to check the weather for storms if you plan to participate in outdoor activities. Arrive in the morning for the best chance of spotting sea turtles.
What to See in Akumal
Be sure to check out Half Moon Bay, a famous spot for sea turtle sightings, along with Laguna Yalku, a protected snorkeling area. Akumal Bay is also a good spot for swimming, reef snorkeling, and sunbathing.
Address: Akumal, Cozumel, Mexico
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Akumal
No results found!
Things to do near Cozumel
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Cancun
- Things to do in Isla Holbox
- Things to do in Valladolid
- Things to do in Chichen Itza
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Bacalar
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Progreso
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Petén