There’s no better place to learn about Spain’s medieval caliphate than the ruins of this royal Moorish city, a popular excursion from nearby Córdoba. During a typical tour of the grounds, visitors explore the remains of palaces, ceremonial halls, mosques, and workshops that make up the largest archaeological site in Spain. An on-site museum and interpretation center showcase artifacts from the excavated site.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Medina Azahara is a must-visit for history buffs and those interested in Spain’s Moorish past.
Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking over uneven surfaces.
Don’t forget to bring sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat; not all areas of the site are shaded.
Give yourself two to three hours to explore the museum and archaeological site.
How to Get There
To get to the interpretive center, catch a public bus from Avenida Alcazar in the Córdoba city center, or drive along the A-431 motorway. A shuttle takes visitors from the parking lot and interpretive center to the archaeological site itself, situated a couple of miles away.
When to Get There
The museum and archaeological site are open from Tuesday to Sunday throughout the year, with extended hours during high season (April through June). Expect temperatures as high as 100°F (38°C) during July and August.
Levels of Medina Azahara
This Moorish city was built on a gentle hill in three tiers, each with its own purpose. On the lowest level, you’ll find the mosque and homes of much of the city’s population. Many of these structures remain unexcavated. The second level comprised government buildings and a public garden. The top level—and the level with the best views—was the royal palace and residence of Abd ar-Rahman III.
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Seville
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Benahavis
- Things to do in Cádiz
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Almeria
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in Alentejo
- Córdoba Synagogue (Sinagoga de Córdoba)
- Tablao El Cardenal
- Alcazar of the Christian Monarchs (Alcázar de los Reyes Cristianos)
- Cordoba Jewish Quarter (Judería de Córdoba)
- Mezquita (Mosque-Cathedral of Córdoba)
- Plaza de Las Tendillas
- Art of Flamenco & Flavors of Córdoba (Tablao Flamenco Arte y Sabores de Córdoba)
- Roman Bridge (Puente Romano)
- Julio Romero de Torres Museum (Museo Julio Romero de Torres)
- Viana Palace (Palacio de Viana)
- Caliphal Baths (Baños del Alcázar Califal)