Antigua Central Park (Parque Central)
The park is surrounded by a cathedral and arch-adorned colonial buildings, including the Palace of the Captain General (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales), City Hall, the Archbishop’s Palace, and the Portal of Commerce. By day, handicraft vendors line the tree-covered walkways, selling their wares. By night, marimba bands set up shop, entertaining passersby with their live music. Be sure to check out the Fountain of the Sirens, a 1936 reconstruction of the original that was built in 1738.
Visit the park independently or as part of a Colonial Antigua sightseeing tour from Guatemala City.
Recent reviews from experiences in Antigua
Things to Know Before You Go
Central Park is the perfect spot to sit or stroll and observe the day-to-day goings-on in Antigua.
Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking over uneven surfaces.
Take normal precautions to avoid pickpockets and petty crime, especially at night.
How to Get There
Central Park is located in the center of Antigua, between Calles 4a and 5a. If you’re staying in town, it’s an easy walk to the park. Antigua is 25 miles (40 kilometers) southwest of Guatemala City, a 75- to 90-minute drive.
When to Get There
The park is open year round and is almost always crowded, especially on Sundays when streets on both the east and west sides are closed to vehicular traffic.
Fountain of the Sirens
In the center of Central Park, a fountain depicts buxom mermaids spraying streams of water. The Fountain of the Sirens (Fuente de las Sirenas) was originally built by Diego de Porres in 1738 and inspired by the Neptune Fountain in Italy. Although a replica, the 1936 reconstruction maintains the original’s posterity. When visiting Central Park, walk around the fountain to see it up close.
- Palace of the Captains General (Palacio de los Capitanes Generales)
- Catedral de Santiago (Antigua Cathedral)
- Museum of Colonial Art (Museo de Arte Colonial)
- Jade Factory and Museum (Jade Maya)
- Santa Catalina Arch (Arco de Santa Catalina)
- ChocoMuseo Antigua
- Antigua City Hall (Palacio del Ayuntamiento)
- Las Capuchinas (Convento de Las Capuchinas)
- La Merced Church (Iglesia de la Merced)
- Church of San Francisco (Iglesia de San Francisco)
- Casa Santo Domingo (Monasterio de Santo Domingo)
- Cerro de la Cruz (Hill of the Cross)
- Pacaya Volcano